- List Of Ingredients
- olive oil
- 8 venison sausages
- 50g smoked lardons
- 200g celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 100g leeks, trimmed, chopped and rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 30g plain flour
- 250ml full-bodied red wine
- 5 juniper berries, crushed
- 250ml Game Stock (page 279) or Beef Stock (page 278)
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 green apples
- 200g cooked chestnuts, halved
- hot tagliatelle to serve (optional)
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Serves 4
Heat a flameproof casserole over a medium-high heat, then add a good splash of oil. When it is hot, add the sausages and stir for 3 minutes, or until they are well coloured all over, then remove from the casserole and set aside.
Add a splash more oil to the casserole, if necessary, then add the lardons and sauté until they have rendered their fat and are well coloured. Add the celeriac, leeks, carrots, celery, onion and tomato purée, and continue sautéing for a further 1–2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 1 minute to cook out the raw flavour.
Add the wine and juniper berries, stirring to deglaze the pan, and boil until the wine reduces by half. Add the stock and bouquet garni, then return the sausages and any accumulated cooking juices to the casserole. Cover the casserole and leave to simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender and the flavours blended.
Meanwhile, halve, core and chop the green apples.
Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary, then stir in the chestnuts and apples and warm through. Serve with fresh tagliatelle flavoured with freshly cracked black pepper.