- List Of Ingredients
- olive or sunflower oil for cooking
- 6 good-quality sausages
- 4 rashers of bacon, derinded and cut into strips
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- 2 x 400 g tins butter beans, rinsed
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml chicken stock (see page 185 )
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Herby crumb topping
- 150g white bread (ideally day old), crusts removed
- 50g parsley, roughly chopped
- 50g tarragon, roughly chopped
- 50g chervil, roughly chopped
- Serves 4
Heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Heat a heavy-based ovenproof sauté pan or shallow flameproof casserole and add a drizzle of oil. Once hot, add the sausages and cook, turning, for a few minutes to colour evenly. Add the bacon strips and cook for a further 3–4 minutes.
Add the onion with the garlic and dried herbs and cook for 5 minutes to soften, stirring from time to time.
Meanwhile, for the herby crumb topping, tear the breadcrumbs into chunks and put into a blender with the herbs. Blitz until the bread is reduced to crumbs and the herbs are finely chopped.
Add the butter beans, tomatoes and chicken stock to the pan, stir to mix everything together and season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the herby crumbs evenly over the surface and bake for 25 minutes until the topping is crisp. Serve with a leafy salad for contrast if you like.