- List Of Ingredients
- 350g green split peas
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 250ml extra virgin olive oil
- For the Salsa:
- 4 ripe but firm tomatoes, diced
- 2 red onions, diced
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the split peas, onion, celery and garlic in a large saucepan. Add 1 litre of water and bring to the boil, skimming to remove any sediment as required. Cover and simmer until the peas have softened.
Leave the peas to cool a little, then blitz or liquidize the peas in a food processor or blender while adding the olive oil. When smooth and creamy, adjust the seasoning to taste.
Meanwhile, mix the salsa ingredients together. Season well and chill until required.
Spread the purée out onto a shallow plate and spoon the salsa in the centre with an extra drizzle of olive oil. Eat warm or cold and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.