- List Of Ingredients
- 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks or 4 chicken legs
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 2–3 sprigs of rosemary, lightly crushed
- 2 sprigs of thyme, lightly crushed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into thick slices
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 large aubergine, cut into chunks
- half a garlic bulb, separated into cloves, unpeeled
- 150ml white wine
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 25g capers
- 25g green olives
- a few sprigs of thyme and parsley to garnish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- serves 4
Put the chicken in a bowl or a large plastic bag and season it with salt and pepper. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed or grated garlic and the rosemary and thyme together to make the marinade, then pour it over the chicken. Leave the chicken to marinate for at least an hour, but preferably for several hours or overnight in the fridge.
If the chicken has been in the fridge, take it out an hour before you want to cook it to allow it to come up to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Arrange the vegetables in a roasting tin and sprinkle over the whole garlic cloves. Put the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables, then pour over any remaining marinade, including the herb sprigs.
Mix the wine with 50ml of water, then pour it around the chicken (not over it) and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Bake in the oven for about an hour, until the vegetables are tender and slightly coloured around the edges and the chicken is cooked through and has a good crisp skin. Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes, capers and olives into the tin, then put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes – long enough to warm the tomatoes through. Serve the chicken and veg garnished with herbs and spoon over the juices from the tin.