Next week the contestants will be working on portraiture, facing the challenges of capturing on canvas the likeness of a stranger, their own face and the well-known faces of Rudolph Walker OBE and Pam St. Clement – also known as Patrick Trueman and Pat Butcher on Eastenders. Lachlan Goudie will also be giving his advice for achieving proportion and scale when sketching faces, and Una Stubbs speaks to acclaimed royal portrait artist Nicky Phillips.
We don’t know about you, but all these artistic hints and tips are making us feel pretty inspired to dust a canvas off and try out some of this advice for ourselves. And to provide further inspiration, we’ve got our hands on some high quality easels to give away to the creators of our three favourite pieces. Send us your portrait art, whether you’re taking on the challenges next week or have some previous pieces at home, for the chance to enter.
To enter, simply upload a photo of your artwork to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest with the hashtags #WHSArt and #Portraits. Don’t forget to tag us so that we don’t miss it! You have until 1pm Wednesday 4th March 2015 to get your entry in.
Further details and terms and conditions can be found below.
Happy painting and good luck!
Please note: This competition has now finished and the winners have been contacted.
Terms and Conditions:
1. No purchase necessary.
2. Participants must be a resident of the UK.
3. Participants under the age of 16 must obtain parental permission to enter.
4. To be eligible for this draw you must submit an image of your own portrait artwork using the hashtags #WHSArt and #Portraits.
5. Entries between 26/02/2015 – 1pm on the 04/03/2015 will be counted.
6. Three winners will be selected, and each will receive a high quality art easel. One overall winner will also receive an art book.
7. All qualifying entries will be considered and the winners will be selected based on effort, technique, skill and imagination.
8. The winners will be notified within 7 working days of the closing date and will receive their prize within 28 days of the closing date.
9. WHSmith will not be held responsible for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period.
10. The draw is not open to employees of WHSmith.
11. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
12. No prize cash alternative.
13. The Promoters decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
14. The right is reserved to withdraw or terminate this prize draw at any time.
15. Entries that do not comply with the terms and conditions or entrants found to be abusing the promotion in any way will have all their entries disqualified.
16. The winners may be required to participate in related publicity.
17. By entering this competition you are agreeing that your artwork can be used in relevant blog posts. All artwork will be credited to the owner.
18. The name and county of the winner may be obtained by writing to: WHSmith.co.uk Portraits Competition, Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX.
19. The Promoter is WHSmith High Street Limited (Company Number 06560339) with registered office at Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX – please do not send entries to this address.