- List Of Ingredients
- generous knob of butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 100ml dry sherry
- 1 heaped tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks (don’t be alarmed by its gnarly appearance)
- 800ml chicken stock
- 100ml double cream, plus extra for swirling
- salt and pepper
- 100g vacuum-packed cooked chestnuts, crumbled and warmed gently in a dry frying pan
- handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Prepare in 15 mins
- Cook in 35 mins
- Serves 4-5
Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add all the onions and cook over a medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the cinnamon and cumin and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes, enjoying that Christmassy aroma, and then add the sherry and bouillon powder. Let it bubble for a minute, then add the chopped celeriac and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and leave to bubble away, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the celeriac has softened. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Remove from the heat and use a stick blender to whizz the soup until smooth. Return the pan to the heat and stir in the cream.
Pour into bowls and add a swirl of cream on the top. Crumble over your warmed chestnuts and scatter with chopped parsley leaves.