- List Of Ingredients
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp panch phoron
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2.5cm/1 in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g/5oz cauliflower, chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 100g/3½oz potato, peeled and chopped into 1cm/½in cubes
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 100g/3½oz/2⁄3 cup frozen garden peas
- 1 x ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- Small bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, stems and leaves finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Milk, for brushing
- SERVES: 4
1. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick saucepan that has a lid over a medium heat. When hot, add the panch phoron and cook until the nuggets of fenugreek turn dark brown. Be careful not to burn, as it will taste bitter. Add the onions and cook until softened, then stir in the ginger.
2.Add the chopped cauliflower and potato and stir to combine, then add the turmeric, salt and sugar. Add a splash of water, then cover with a lid and cook for 4–5 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
3. Stir in the peas, remove from the heat and leave until the mixture is completely cool.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
5. Unroll the pastry sheet and place on a lined baking sheet (you can use the paper the pastry came wrapped in for lining the sheet). Spread the cooled filling mixture over the surface of the pastry sheet, leaving a gap of about 2.5cm/1in around the edges. Sprinkle over the coriander and red chilli. To create a pretty effect, score the edges of the pastry sheet and brush with a little milk.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy all over.
7. Serve on its own or with a side salad.
Extracted from Meat Free Mowgli by Nisha Katona
Don’t miss out on Limited Edition Signed Copies of Meat Free Mowgli – available to order online whilst stock lasts!