- List Of Ingredients
- To Prepare
- 5 apricots (or a can of apricot halves)
- 2 cubes of frozen butternut squash purée
- For Baby
- 1 tbsp (15ml) baby rice cereal
- 2 tbsp (30ml) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) of the puréed apricots
- For You (serves 2)
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stick
- ½ red pepper
- The remaining half of the canned apricots or the remaining fresh apricot purée
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 100g uncooked brown basmati rice or 170g ready cooked brown basmati rice from a pouch
- 1 tsp (5ml) hot curry paste
- 2 tbsp (30ml) tomato purée
- 30g cashew nuts
- 100ml white wine or chicken stock
- A handful of fresh coriander, to garnish
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 8-10 mins for the apricots/25 mins for apricot chicken
Here is a tasty dish to make for dinner for you and your partner; in fact, it’s so simple even an inexperienced cook could give it a go.
You can use dry brown basmati, or a ready steamed pouch for extra ease.
If using fresh apricots, take a sharp knife and make a slit around the stone. Prise open the fruit and remove the stone. Place all of the prepared fresh apricots or half of the canned apricots in a small pan with 2 frozen cubes of butternut squash purée and a splash of water (or the juice from the can) and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8–10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Transfer to a food processor and whizz into a smooth paste, or use a hand-held blender.
For Baby: Apricot Swirl
Place the baby rice cereal and the Greek yogurt into a bowl, mix well and swirl through the puréed apricots..
For You: Spicy Apricot Chicken
Peel and finely chop the onion, finely chop the celery, deseed the pepper and cut into strips, and slice the tinned apricot halves, if using.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the chicken breasts. Cook for about 10 minutes on each side, making sure they are thoroughly cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
Add the onion, celery and pepper to the pan in which you cooked the chicken and cook for 10 minutes, until softened.
Stir in the curry paste, tomato purée, apricots, cashew nuts and wine or stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and become thicker.
Return the chicken breasts to the pan to heat through. Serve with the rice, garnished with fresh coriander leaves.