- List Of Ingredients
- 450g (1lb) cooked chicken
- 100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) ‘light’ low-calorie mayonnaise
- 100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) full-fat creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 10 peppadew bell peppers, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus a handful of leaves to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish salad
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces
- 225g (8 oz) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 50g (2 oz) black olives (the best are in olive oil from the deli counter)
- chopped fresh parsley
- a little French dressing
- serves 6
- not suitable to freeze
One of our favourite recipes in the collection is Mary’s chilled gazpacho chicken- a cold soup that is full of flavour yet wonderfully light, ideal for those warm summer days when a hot meal is too much. Try it out after a trip to the beach or after a long day at the park and you’ll be surprised at how quick and simple it is to whip up.
1. Cut the chicken into neat bite-sized pieces, removing all the skin and bone.
2. Mix the mayonnaise and creme fraiche with the tomato paste, peppers and garlic. Fold in the chicken pieces and spring onions, then taste and season carefully with the balsamic vinegar, basil, salt and pepper.
3. Spoon out on to a flat serving dish and garnish with the dressed salad and basil leaves.
Tip: Peppadew peppers are small bell peppers from South Africa, found in jars in good delis and supermarkets. They are available hot or mild, and we like the mild ones best. Once opened, keep in the fridge, and use them in salads, pasta, stuffed with cream cheese and in any of the recipes here (see pages 28 and 242).
To prepare ahead: Prepare the chicken to the end of step 2, cover and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours ahead. The salad can be prepared up to 12 hours ahead, but do not dress.