- 1 lb fresh ground beef
- 8 oz fresh pre-diced onions (1 1/2 cups, divided)
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cardamom)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 tbs cider vinegar
- 16 oz thin spaghetti pasta
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar)
- 1 cup kidney beans (cooked)
- Oyster crackers (to serve alongside)
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta
- Remove the meat from its packaging
As many great writers do, Karen has included some aspects of her own experiences into her stories. In ‘Closer Than You Think’ Deacon and Faith share some of Cincinnati’s famous chilli, made from a secret recipe at Skyline. It turns out that this is a dish close to Karen’s heart, as her husband has his own special recipe for this dish that the couple adore. With his permission of course, Karen has shared the recipe with us to try out at home. Let us know what you think in the comments box below!
1. Preheat stock pot/casserole dish on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground beef and 1/2 cup of onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are softened, stirring to crumble the meat.
2. Combine the chili powder, cocoa powder, apple pie spice, and cumin, then add to the meat. Cook for 1-2 minutes to blend flavours.
3. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, and cider vinegar and cook for 8-10 minutes or until chili thickens and the liquid reduces.
4. Whilst the chili is thickening, cook the pasta following the package instructions.
5. Serve the chili over pasta and top with the remaining 1 cup of onions. Add cheese and beans if desired.
Let us know how you get on with Karen’s recipe in the comments box below.