- List Of Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 x 20cm (8 in) hoagies or baguettes, cut in half lengthways
- 6 large spring onions (scallions), cut in half lengthways
- 2 little gem lettuces, leaves pulled apart
- 50g (ı: oz) cherry tomatoes
- 500g (ı lb 2 oz) rib-eye steak, thinly sliced
- 3 pickled onions, sliced
- 2 mozzarella balls, torn
- 300g (3 cups) grated provolone cheese
- Serves Three
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Heat a griddle pan to hot.
Drizzle the oil over the cut sides of the baguettes and place cut-side down onto the griddle. Toast until charred. Brush a little oil over the spring onions (scallions) and griddle them for 2–3 minutes, again until charred.
Place the baguettes in a parcel of foil or baking parchment, top with the lettuce and tomatoes.
Oil the griddle and place the steak on the griddle to cook for ı minute on each side. Then cut up in to strips while on the griddle.
Place the strips of steak into the baguettes. Add the slices of pickled onion, mozzarella, provolone cheese, and top with the spring onions. Place in the oven for 5 minutes before serving.
Extracts taken from James Martin’s American Adventure by James Martin (Quadrille) Photography by Peter Cassidy