Founded nearly ten years ago, TP-Link have established themselves as one of the world’s leading providers of SOHO and SMB networking products, as well as the #1 provider of WLAN products. They now supply both wired and wireless devices to over 120 countries and have won multiple awards for their products and services worldwide. We are very excited to be introducing a fantastic selection of TP-Link products into our stores this year to help our customers improve their WiFi experiences.
Below, we’ve stripped back some of the technical jargon to offer a simple and concise overview of how these products can help you in the home or office, ideal to help you figure out which is the right one to solve your WiFi troubles.
WiFi Range Extender
WiFi extenders can help eliminate dead zones in your home by rebroadcasting a wireless signal from your router. Ideally you will need to place the extender halfway between the router and the area that you require a stronger signal in. If you place the extender in an area where the signal is weak then you will simply be rebroadcasting a weak signal so try it out in a few spots to find the perfect balance.
The TP-Link WiFi Range Extender is wireless and so no wires or cables are required. Simply plug it directly into a mains socket to get started. You can pair the device with your router wirelessly by using the WPS button, and a smart signal light will let you know the strength of the signal it is receiving from your router. This is your chance to try the device in a few different spots to find the maximum signal stability.
WiFi Range Extender with Plug Socket
If you liked the sound of the TP-Link WiFi Range Extender but didn’t like the thought of sacrificing a mains socket then this is the device for you. Offering all the benefits of the above whilst providing a plug socket that you can use for other electrical devices, your options for locations to place the extender will be much more open.
Powerline Adapter 500Mbps
Powerline adapters are useful devices for extending wired or wireless internet to another room simply by using your home’s existing electrical circuitry. This is ideal if you have a product that requires an internet connection – such as a smart TV – that you want to use in a different room to the one where your router lives.
The TP-Link Powerline Adapter offers a high speed of 500Mbps and is completely wireless. It has a range of up to 300 meters over your home’s electrical circuitry and one Ethernet port to allow for one device to be connected with an Ethernet cable. Simply plug into a mains socket to get started.
Powerline with WiFi
Similarly to the previous Powerline Adapter, this device has a high speed of 500Mbps and is completely wireless. It also has a range of up to 300 meters over your electrical circuitry. The difference is in this product’s ability to work seamlessly with your current home WiFi network, including the WiFi clone button which makes home set up much simpler. There are also two Ethernet ports instead of one, so you can connect two devices via Ethernet cable to this Powerline adapter.
Powerbank chargers are essentially an external charger that can be used to charge up your phone or electronic device’s battery whilst you’re on the go. The TP-Link Powerbank Charger has a capacity of 10,400mAh and can charge a smartphone up to 5 times before needing to re-charge itself. This product is compatible with 5V input USB-charged devices, including iPhone, iPads and Android smartphones/tablets, and two ports allow you to charge two devices at once.
A portable router is incredibly handy if you need to take your WiFi on the go and the TP-Link device includes some fantastic administration features too. Including a built-in power adaptor, a USB port for storage sharing, control over how much bandwidth is allocated to each PC and parental controls to restrict the websites that your children can access. Perfect for those who need to take their internet with them on their travels.
A desktop switch is a simple way to connect multiple devices to your router whilst reducing network congestion to optimise busy homes. The TP-Link desktop switch provides five auto-negotiation Ethernet ports that allow varying transfer speeds between 10Mbps and 100Mbps. And thanks to innovative energy efficient technology, this device saves up to 60% of power.
UH700 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub
Perfect if you’re running out of USB ports to plug your devices into, a USB hub can provide multiple ports to connect your devices to. The TP-Link USB hub provides 7 ports – so there will be no more unplugging your printer to connect up your webcam – and the latest 3.0 version offers transfer speeds up to 10 times faster than the 2.0.
This WiFi camera eliminates the need for cables or wires, offering complete freedom to move about your home as you live stream. Producing crisp images and clear audio, this high quality camera is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. And you can even access your camera from your smartphone or tablet using the online app. Not only functioning as a camera, the Cloud Camera also acts as a range extender to ensure a great WiFi signal and eliminate any nearby deadzones.
Please note: This competition has now closed and no further entries will be counted.
To celebrate the launch of TP-Link products in our stores, we’re offering our followers the chance to win a TP-Link Range Extender 850 RE and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. To enter we simply want you to share the funniest WiFi router names that you’ve spotted whilst connecting. It could be a good old pun – ‘Get off my LAN’ – a touch of whimsy – ‘Help I’m trapped in a router’ ‘Hogwarts Great Hall WiFi’- or simply a hilariously passive aggressive shout out to the neighbours – ‘Keep your dog off my lawn’. Tweet us the funniest name you’ve seen using the hashtag #WHSWiFI for the chance to win. Good luck!
Terms and conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- Participants must be 16 years or over and be a resident of the UK.
- The prize draw is open to all UK and ROI residents
- There will be 1 winner who will win a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a TP-LINK Range Extender 850 RE
- To enter the prize draw you are required to comment on the post on Twitter telling us the funniest WiFi router names you’ve seen and include the following hashtag: #WHSWiFi
- Entries between 29/09/2015 – 03/10/2015 will be counted.
- Only one entry per person.
- The winner will be notified via Twitter within 7 days of the closing date.
- The winning entry will be selected at random from all the answers. This selection is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be required to private message WHSmith on Twitter with their delivery details to receive their prize.
- The information you provide here will be safeguarded under the Data Protection Act and controlled by WHSmith
- Use of a false name or address will disqualify any applicant from receiving the prize.
- The winners will be notified within 7 working days of the closing date and will receive their prize within 28 working days.
- If the prize is not claimed within 7 days, we reserve the right to redraw.
- WHSmith will not be held responsible for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period.
- This competition is not open to employees of WHSmith or TP-Link.
- The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- No prize cash alternative.
- The Promoters decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The right is reserved to withdraw or terminate this competition at any time.
- Entries that do not comply with the terms and conditions or entrants found to be abusing the promotion in any way will have all their entries disqualified.
- The name and county of the winner may be obtained by writing to: WHSmith.co.uk TP-Links WHSmith Competition, Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX.
- The winner consents to publication of their name on the WHSmith Twitter account and TP-Link Facebook page and may be required to participate in post-event publicity arranged by or on behalf of the promoter.
- The Promoter is WHSmith High Street Limited (Company Number 06560339) with registered office at Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX – please do not send entries to this address.