- List Of Ingredients
- 1kg floury potatoes, such as King Edward or Maris Piper, peeled and quartered
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g cooked Brussels sprouts
- 40g butter
- 50g plain flour
- olive oil, to shallow-fry
- Makes 10–12
1. Add the potatoes to a saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 15–20 minutes until tender. Meanwhile, finely shred the cooked Brussels sprouts.
2. Drain the potatoes and push them through a potato ricer, or mash thoroughly using a potato masher. Return to the pan and stir over a low heat for 1–2 minutes to dry them out. Add the butter to melt and mix well, then take off the heat.
3. While the potatoes are still warm, mix in the shredded Brussels sprouts. Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Tip the flour onto a plate and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Shape the potato and sprout mixture into 10–12 patties and lightly coat with the seasoned flour.
4. Heat a 5mm depth of olive oil in a large frying pan. In batches, shallow-fry the savoury cakes for 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little salt. Serve at once, on warmed plates.