And so when we heard that he would be releasing a six book series alongside children’s author Joanna Nadin we knew we were in for a treat. Fergus is given his dad’s old bike by his Mum and Grandpa Herc for his ninth birthday in Flying Fergus: The Best Birthday Bike. It seems an ordinary old bike at first, but when he turns the pedals backwards he is transported to Nevermore along with his dog Chimp. Fergus gets up to all sorts of adventures in Nevermore – where cycling is banned by King Woebegot – including meeting Princess Lily, bunny-hopping over the swamp of certain death and outwitting the Knights of No-Nonsense. But when Fergus returns to the real world, he remembers that he still needs to complete a time trial to join the local cycling team. Along with the help of Grandpa Herc and Fergus’s best friend Daisy, Fergus learns that it’s hard work, patience and support from friends that will help him succeed, and not magic.
We love the themes behind Flying Fergus and the colourful characters brought to life so vividly by illustrator Clare Elsom, and if it encourages a few children to hop on a bike too then fantastic. As Chris himself has said; “My hope is that Flying Fergus excites and inspires children, opening their eyes to the freedom and adventures two wheels can offer with just a little hard work”.
And so to celebrate the release of the first Flying Fergus book – The Best Birthday Bike – we’ve teamed up with Chris, his publishers Picadilly Press and Evans Cycles to offer one lucky winner the chance to win a brand new kid’s bike from a selection of children’s HOY bikes (see available bikes below*). To enter, simply take your best guess at the following question:
How many laps of Manchester velodrome would Sir Chris Hoy cycle in a typical training year?
The closest answer will be our winner and will be invited to pick their chosen kids’ bike from a selection of HOY children’s bikes. You have until Thursday 17th March to submit your answer on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #WHSFlyingFergus.
*The winner may pick a prize from the following bikes, subject to availability:
- Hoy Aomori Junior 2016 Kids Road Bike
- Hoy Meadowmill 26 inch 2016 Cyclocross Bike
- Hoy Bonaly 26 Disc Kids Bike
- Hoy Meadowmill 24 inch 2016 Kids Cyclocross Bike
- Hoy Cammo 650c Road Bike
- Hoy Cammo 24 inch Road Bike
- Hoy Bonaly 24 inch Kids Bike
- Hoy Bonaly 20 inch Kids Bike
- Hoy Meadowbank 20 inch Kids Bike
- Hoy Meadowbank 650c Track Bike
- Hoy Bonaly 16 inch Kids Bike
- Hoy Meadowbank 24 inch Track Bike
- Hoy Napier Balance Bike
Terms and conditions:
1. No purchase necessary.
2. Participants must be a resident of the UK or Republic of Ireland.
3. Participants under the age of 13 must obtain parental permission and guidance to enter.
4. To be eligible for this competition you must answer the question ‘How many laps of Manchester velodrome would Sir Chris Hoy cycle in a typical training year?’ using the hashtag #WHSFlyingFergus
5. One winner will be selected to win one bike of their choice from the following children’s bikes at Evans Cycles (subject to availability): Hoy Aomori Junior 2016 Kids Road Bike, Hoy Meadowmill 26 inch 2016 Cyclocross Bike, Hoy Bonaly 26 Disc Kids Bike, Hoy Meadowmill 24 inch 2016 Kids Cyclocross Bike, Hoy Cammo 650c Road Bike, Hoy Cammo 24 inch Road Bike, Hoy Bonaly 24 inch Kids Bike, Hoy Bonaly 20 inch Kids Bike, Hoy Meadowbank 20 inch Kids Bike, Hoy Meadowbank 650c Track Bike, Hoy Bonaly 16 inch Kids Bike, Hoy Meadowbank 24 inch Track Bike, Hoy Napier Balance Bike
6. If the winner is under the age of 16 they will need a parent or guardian present to arrange the receipt/collection of the prize.
7. All qualifying entries will be considered.
8. The promoter will not be held responsible for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period.
9. The competition is not open to employees of WHSmith, Bonnier Publishing, Evans Cycles or anyone else connected with this promotion.
10. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
11. Entries received between 25th February 2016 and midnight on 17th March 2016 will be accepted.
12. Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
13. The winner will be chosen based on whoever guesses closest to the correct answer. In circumstances where multiple participants guess the correct answer then the winner will be chosen at random.
14. Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into. There is no cash alternative available.
15. The winner will be notified via Facebook or Twitter by 31st March 2016. The winners must claim their prize within 14 working days of the Promoter sending notification If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
16. The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the competition, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this competition, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this competition and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
17. By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
18. Entries that do not comply with the terms and conditions or entrants found to be abusing the promotion in any way will have all their entries disqualified.
19. The winner may be required to participate in related publicity.
20. The name and county of the winner may be obtained by writing to: WHSmith.co.uk Flying Fergus Competition, Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX.
21. The Promoter is WHSmith High Street Limited (Company Number 06560339) with registered office at Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX – please do not send entries to this address.