To enter, simply leave a comment at the bottom of this post or on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #MeetKaren, letting us know your favourite Karen Rose book and why. We’ll announce our three winners on Friday 10th July 2015. Good luck!
Please note: This competition has now closed and no further entries will be considered.
Here Karen Rose tells us why she’s so excited to meet her fans:
Okay, so I need to admit something: I like to talk. I am a champion chatter. I can find something to chat about with just about anyone that I meet. (There was one group that did manage to stymie me. I don’t want to talk about them. Shudder).
When I meet readers, I’m in heaven because I’m a reader, too! I’ll happily chat about my books or those I’ve enjoyed that were written by other people. To talk about the characters who are so real to me with other readers that “get it”? Bliss.
I am sure that the length of my books makes more sense now. My characters like to talk, too. Sometimes they speak to me, but usually to each other. But only when I’m alone and it’s very quiet.
When I write, I have to go off by myself. I get so completely absorbed in the story that I lose track of time. Days fly by and I’m totally unaware. If you asked me the date, I’d tell you the date it is on the page that I’m writing.
(When I was a schoolteacher, writing my books at night, this would drive my students insane. I’d forget what day it was and tell them it was a quiz or test day. They figured this out pretty quickly, however, and would tell me the wrong day on purpose so they could avoid the scheduled test. I learned to check my phone every morning, as it always had the correct date).
Finally I finish the book to emerge from whatever cave I’ve been in to blink at the sunlight, check the date, and see what’s happened in the world.
Then I rejoin the land of real people with a lot of chatter saved up! I’ve just finished a book (ALONE IN THE DARK, Scarlett Bishop’s story), so I’m looking forward to my upcoming visit to London where I’ll be meeting readers! I hope you all are ready to chat about books, because I certainly am.
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- Participants must be 18 years or over and be a resident of the UK.
- There will be three winners. Each winner will receive a place for themselves and a friend to meet Karen Rose at 3pm on Tuesday 14th July 2015. Each winner will also receive £50 towards travel expenses. No accommodation is provided as part of this prize.
- The time and date of the afternoon tea are not negotiable. If a chosen winner cannot make this time unfortunately another winner will be chosen.
- The three winners are each eligible to bring one guest along with them. The chosen winners should inform the competition organisers ahead of the tea who their guest will be.
- Entries between 02/07/2015 – 09/07/2015 will be counted.
- Only one entry per person.
- The winners will be notified within 7 working days of the closing date and will receive instructions for claiming their prize in reasonable time before the event on the 14th July.
- WHSmith will not be held responsible for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period.
- This competition is not open to employees of WHSmith.
- The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- No prize cash alternative.
- The Promoters decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The right is reserved to withdraw or terminate this competition at any time.
- Entries that do not comply with the terms and conditions or entrants found to be abusing the promotion in any way will have all their entries disqualified.
- The name and county of the winner may be obtained by writing to: WHSmith.co.uk Meet Karen Rose WHSmith Competition, Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX.
- The winners may be required to participate in related publicity.
- The Promoter is WHSmith High Street Limited (Company Number 06560339) with registered office at Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire SN3 3RX – please do not send entries to this address.